• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A Good Deal for US Travelers

exgman

For those in the BMW MOA community who do any international travel, the US Customs and Border Protection Service offers a service named "Global Entry." This service allows US Citizens to apply for what is called "trusted traveler" status. Once granted, this status allows two good things: 1) TSA-Pre on domestic flights, and 2) eased entry into the US both on land (NEXUS from Canada & Mexico) and from international flights into the US.

The application process is a little complicated, costs $100, and involves an interview. If granted, the enhanced status is in effect for five years.

Take a look here for the details: http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

Thanks!

I'm looking into this. It's a little amorphous & the site is somewhat cumbersome to navigate. I think the programs for entry are shifting some, from what I can tell- and there are new classifications and tools for frequent travelers. If you travel domestically a lot, there is also the TSApre clearance. I looked into TSApre one time in the past. They have specific dates and locations for clearance interviews, IIRC- and Global Entry clearance requires an "interview" also. Probably, anyone who ever had to pass or meet any sort of security clearance or requirements for their job for whatever reason, may have a slight advantage in that you may be more easily identifiable within the "system".

Mary and I have applied. Global Entry provides automated (kiosk) CBP processing at US airports when arriving from overseas, as well as all-the-time domestic TSA PreCheck at check-in. Given the security line waiting period recently at our most-used airport in San Jose, this is attractive.

ricochetrider is correct that the CPB website is confusing and fairly clumsy to navigate. It's a challenge to figure out where to schedule one's interview; that part of the website is very slow. Some locations can get you in within a week or two, others have no availability for six or more months. There are some locations, interestingly enough, in Canada. Although we live in California, we may schedule ours in Halifax, Nova Scotia, as we'll be there during a trip in October.

David is right about TSA Pre-Check being included in the Global Entry program. TSA-Pre alone is $85, but Global Entry is $100, so to me it's a no-brainer. It is a somewhat clumsy process for application, but it's doable. The workload on some offices for interviews is high...Boston (as an example) is scheduling interviews now for October. Other places have more people and a lighter workload and so will be able to do them sooner.

My interview took 15 minutes. A complete criminal check, fingerprints scanned and photo taken, and I was out of there with my certification in my passport record. A card arrived in the mail 1.5 weeks later. I don't think my former employment changed any of the circumstances of the event other than having to trade a few war stories about life in Federal law enforcement.

A card arrived in the mail 1.5 weeks later.

As I understand it, the applicant's Global Entry account is "turned on" for CBP kiosks as soon as the interview is completed; the kiosks read one's passport. The card is used for non-airplane entry into the US.

Application complete, payment made.

I assume I'll be assigned- or get to choose- an interview location? Probably there are three locations within equal proximity to my home, Philadelphia, Maryland/Baltimore, & Washington, DC.

I had a couple questions I wasn't sure about or there was no way to adequately enter the honest, correct answer. Even so, my app went through seamlessly. I assume they'll grill me on these points during the interview.

I did NOT submit a vehicle since, at this time, I do not intend on crossing into our neighboring countries by land. I have already passed numerous background and security checks so I can only hope I can pass muster at the interview.

I suppose if I get there and there are massive goons with heavy firepower & shackles...
it's too late. :)

David - There was no video presentation when I went for my interview. A small office at Logan Airport with space for two interviewers and one Supervisor and that was about it.

Ricochet rider - I got to choose my interview location.

Been a NEXUS card holder for 6+ years. We recently renewed our NEXUS/Trusted Traveler pass. If you plan on driving across the US-Canada border it is absolutely worth it. It will also save you time when doing domestic travel and international travel - the TSA process is speedier. We travel to/from British Columbia, Canada frequently.

The caveat is you must occasionally read the CBP website to understand what is permissible to cross the border in either direction. Items on the website do change. Both Canada and the US require that travelers keep up to date on changing items. Significant items like weapons, tobacco, alcohol, cash, drugs are more serious and violations can result in suspending your NEXUS pass permanently. Or here's an obscure limitation, bringing poultry meal dog food purchased in Canada cannot be brought back into the US. When you ask during your interview the agents will say that a violation - any violation - could suspend your NEXUS pass permanently.

Been a NEXUS card holder for 6+ years. We recently renewed our NEXUS/Trusted Traveler pass. If you plan on driving across the US-Canada border it is absolutely worth it. It will also save you time when doing domestic travel and international travel - the TSA process is speedier. We travel to/from British Columbia, Canada frequently.

The caveat is you must occasionally read the CBP website to understand what is permissible to cross the border in either direction. Items on the website do change. Both Canada and the US require that travelers keep up to date on changing items. Significant items like weapons, tobacco, alcohol, cash, drugs are more serious and violations can result in suspending your NEXUS pass permanently. Or here's an obscure limitation, bringing poultry meal dog food purchased in Canada cannot be brought back into the US. When you ask during your interview the agents will say that a violation - any violation - could suspend your NEXUS pass permanently.

Sounds like great advice to me. Thank you for telling us about the particulars...and I thought firearms were the biggest and maybe only concern. Who knew...dog food?

Yes, airport security and limitations of expediency with the TSA are quickly becoming legendary. This has been the subject of much conversation lately, it seems. Or of many news stories, anyway.

Never mind that modern air travel has fallen a long way from its former "20th century marvel" wonder-child status to become more a grueling mishmash of discomfort, disarray, and inefficiency.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
Living central to several major metropolitan areas, I had multiple choices for my Global Entry interview. My choice of Washington, DC allowed me the flexibility to choose 3 different locations. I ended up choosing a Sunday interview at BWI in Baltimore in early July. Philadelphia was also an option.

I was recently talking to a friend about this whole "Global Entry" thing, and he mentioned he and his GF have applied for the TSA Pre (check) status. Seems this also requires being fingerprinted and interviewed. I sent a tweet out to @askTSA inquiring if the "Global Entry" status also gives you access to expedited TSA security checks for domestic travel -I see they also issue a "Known Traveler" ID number. Being as TSA is a whole different entity than the Border Control crew........ Seems I may also need to apply and schedule for TSA Known Traveler status to access a TSA precheck within U.S. borders?

THIS JUST IN:

just received a tweet/reply from @askTSA. Pretty cool, they got back to me within the time it took to type all this. IF I HAVE THIS RIGHT -Your GOES ID (KTN) may be used to access the TSA precheck but you must book your flight using your
Known Traveler Number, or KTN. This means your ticket will also be printed with your KTN, allowing you to access expedited security checks at airports for domestic travel.
There is, apparently, only ONE KTN. You use it for international and domestic travel.

THIS JUST IN:

just received a tweet/reply from @askTSA. Pretty cool, they got back to me within the time it took to type all this. IF I HAVE THIS RIGHT -Your GOES ID (KTN) may be used to access the TSA precheck but you must book your flight using your
Known Traveler Number, or KTN. This means your ticket will also be printed with your KTN, allowing you to access expedited security checks at airports for domestic travel.
There is, apparently, only ONE KTN. You use it for international and domestic travel.

I believe this is correct. Entering your KTN in an airline's profile means that airline's boarding pass will (or should) carry the "TSA PreCheck" indication.

I believe this is correct. Entering your KTN in an airline's profile means that airline's boarding pass will (or should) carry the "TSA PreCheck" indication.

That's correct. I just did that for a trip to Amsterdam next week, and the AA website had a means to enter that information.

I also learned a couple of more things today. First, as most people now know, after you're approved by the CBP interview, you'll be immediately in the system with your US passport number. About ten days later you'll get a Global Entry card in the mail. That card needs to be activated before you can ease your entry back into the US via land from either Mexico or Canada via the "NEXUS" lanes; Second, if you're a frequent land traveler to Canada, you can apply for "Trusted Traveler" status on the CBP website, and if approved, will find that getting into Canada is easier via the "NEXUS" lanes. There's a separate fee of "$50, and it seems to require an interview by Canadian Customs/Immigration officers at some point.

In any case, the whole system seems pretty good on its face. I am returning to the US on 6/3, and will make a post here about how it all went.

No ExGMan special lanes? Bet there were before you added the Ex.

Oddly enough, there weren't, despite what you might imagine. I was just another person, then (2001 and before) and now. In some ways my status (as an ExFed) seems to be a minor liability as I get extra scrutiny because folks in Canada are very concerned about firearms coming into the country. As we used to say in my former employment: "Trust but verify."

Applicants to the CBP's Global Entry program should be aware that the mandatory interview is scheduled on a 24-hr calendar. If one schedules a 1:30 interview, that interview appointment is at 1:30 a.m.

Don't ask how I happen to know this.

Global Entry Experience...Returning to the US from Europe

I said I'd relate my Global Entry experience on returning to the US from a recent trip to Europe. Here goes:

On June 3, I arrived back at Logan Airport (Boston) on a loaded British Airways 747. My wife and two friends with whom we were traveling all left the plane together. I was the only one with a GE certification. We walked into the Terminal E entry area and I saw that there were about 10 GE kiosks waiting there. I went to an empty kiosk, put in my passport to be scanned and waited. In about 10 seconds the machine made a photo of me, and instructed me to put down four fingers of either hand to be scanned. It took the machine about 20 seconds to recognize me, and dispense a piece of paper which told me to pick up my bags, and depart after handing my piece of paper to an CBP officer.

I grabbed my bag, and those of the rest of the party and waited forty minutes for them to be cleared by CBP reviewers. If I had not had to wait, I'd have been out of the area about 10 minutes after the plane landed. The luggage came very quickly.

As a side note, my wife who had dismissed the whole GE thing as "not worth it" has become a believer and now wants the certification.

I'm headed to Das Rally and expect to cross into Canada sometime during the event. I'll see how it works in the NEXUS lanes at the US border.

Back