• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Error light stays on BMW charger...

I recently had Hyper-lites installed and Piaa's installed on the fork legs of my 2011 R1200RT, today was the first time i had plugged my BMW battery charger in after having the extra lights installed. When the ignition is turned on the light for the 1/3 power is on, when the key is turned off, within moments the 1/3 light goes off and the error light on the bottom of the charger comes on. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this issue.

I recently had Hyper-lites installed and Piaa's installed on the fork legs of my 2011 R1200RT, today was the first time i had plugged my BMW battery charger in after having the extra lights installed. When the ignition is turned on the light for the 1/3 power is on, when the key is turned off, within moments the 1/3 light goes off and the error light on the bottom of the charger comes on. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this issue.
Where did you connect for power to the Hyperlites?

I think all you can do is to try to isolate the source of the problem by systematically disconnecting the new electrical accessories. As you do so keep checking the effect it has on the battery charger. If it causes no change, then reconnect and move on. While doing this procedure also look carefully for any visible damage (evidence of a short, frayed wires, disconnects, etc.) that may have occurred during the recent work. It may also be a fault in the battery.

This issue has been reported previously both for hyperlites and P3s on various model BMWs - the power needs to be sourced so the lights are not seen by the BMW charger.
Easy fix as noted above. The folks at Hyperlites or Skene who makes the P3s are familiar with issue and know the solutions.

A cheaper answer is not to buy a BMW charger. Probably 98% of us use some sort of direct to battery connection for charging despite the baseless warning in the Riders Manual. I've yet to hear anyone suffering damage to a bike computer from a power spike passed by a charger, the presumed basis of the warning. The direct connection allows use of any suitable charger at 1/2 - 1/5 the cost of the BMW version plus providing a connection point for other items like heated gear (the factory circuits will not handle heated gear for 2, for example). It also ensures you won't go the garage in the spring and find a bike with a battery dead from parasitic draw and normal discharge because the BMW charger maintaining the battery failed to restart after a brief power interruption, a common event.

Back