• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet Liners?

keppelj

I'd be grateful for a tip on a helmet liner which is thin and will keep my helmet clean. I had a Slik which was fine but no longer available. The Aerostitch Jimi is too thick for the closely fitting Arai I have - can't poke my sunglasses under it. So...what's good these days in skull caps?

I really like the one which LD Comfort sells but it too is a little thick. Sure keeps you cool in the summer though!

ken

I got off on the wrong foot with this query. The cap I was trying to replace isn't Sliks but hjc KoolMax which is still available. Thanks for your feed back all.

Zoommo, good tip. Pilot helmet use is an interesting slant and they look well made/taylored. Colors too!

UA sells a "mesh" cap like the pro-footballers wear. I have used them for several years and like them very much. Our local Sports Authority sells them..about 16 bucks

Zoommo, good tip. Pilot helmet use is an interesting slant and they look well made/taylored. Colors too!

I've used these for years upon the recommendation of a friend that did a stint with the Thunderbirds. They also help reduce noise levels.

I've used these for years upon the recommendation of a friend that did a stint with the Thunderbirds. They also help reduce noise levels.

Can you use these wet to use evap cooling? Was thinking of an LD Comfort model for that purpose mainly, but would love something that makes my lemet quieter.

I wetted mine with cold water a few days ago on a particularly warm day. Kept my head cool until the airflow dried it out. Synthetics dry pretty quickly.

Helmet Liners

I've been using the heavy cotton military helmet liners from my Navy jet jock days for many years now. They wash up well and, seemingly, never wear out.

I've bought several over the years, but have never wore one more than once or twice. I just don't like them. I remove my Helmet liners and wash them. I then reinstall them...

I bought several brands trying to resolve this and settled on the Gibson-Barnes that Zoomo recommends above. They're light, easy to get my sunglasses under, and slippery enough that my snug helmet slides on and off easier than without the liner. I bought red! The coolest color.

Sweat-Vac for me!

I have the LD "short" liner...a little snug.....my Sweat-Vacs are really the best (for me) all around.

Is the "mesh" cap adequate or better when it comes to allowing air to flow through it via the air intake at the top of my helmet? Who sells it, please?

Let me rephrase that last posting - is there a mesh type of liner that allows airflow through the intake on top of the helmet and through the mesh to your head?

Another vote for the LD Comfort liner. Not the thinnest, but the back of my neck sure appreciated the length of the tail when riding across the country a few years ago. Other riders had lobster necks.

Back