• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Who's starting off in or passing through Connecticut?

tbonesr1100

I'll be heading north to VT on 20 July. I'd love to join a ride in progress or hook up with folks originating from CT...I'm open to different routes...I'm getting psyched!

Starting in Madison

I'll be starting in Madison on the 20th. Will likely head to Orange to meet up with a friend. We are thinking of heading up via Western MA. then up through central VT.

We are staying 20 miles south of Essex Jct.

Not sure what time we are headed out yet, but I figure at least a 5 hour trip. :bolt

May also have a chase vehical (if wife doesn't want to ride pillion).

Last edited:
I'm about 20 minutes from Orange in Fairfiled Cty. Rt. 7 will take you all the way to Burlington. I really wouldn't mind if it took 10 hours as long as the ride is enjoyable and we pass a few gas stations...!

I will be leaving from Redding on 7/20

There are some good combinations of routes through CT, eastern NY, Mass & VT. I grew up in northwestern Mass (Williamstown), so I'm pretty familiar with the possibilities.

cool...let me know your time of lift off as i'm close to Redding - off Hattertown Rd...You camping on site?

I'm estimating 7 - 8 hours to get there on non-slab highways, so I figure a start of 8:00 to 9:00 am would put us in by late afternoon. I'm actually staying in Stowe, so I'll "commute" to Essex Junction.

I'm familiar with Route 7. It is pretty straight - and a bit congested in the Rutland area. I'm thinking Rt 100 once in Vermont, but any route is fine with me.

It is about a 250 mile trip by highway, so we will only need to find 1 or 2 gas stations.

I agree that a relatively early start is in order. Mapquest says it is 6.5 - 7 hours by back road.

We are staying in Starksboro and also "commuting" to Essex Junction. I used to live in Colchester, VT. Any commute in the area is wonderful. :D

buck_taylor said:
I'm familiar with Route 7. It is pretty straight - and a bit congested in the Rutland area. I'm thinking Rt 100 once in Vermont, but any route is fine with me.

It is about a 250 mile trip by highway, so we will only need to find 1 or 2 gas stations.

I agree that a relatively early start is in order. Mapquest says it is 6.5 - 7 hours by back road.

We are staying in Starksboro and also "commuting" to Essex Junction. I used to live in Colchester, VT. Any commute in the area is wonderful. :D

Hey now,

Any road (even the interstate) near the rally site is a great commuting road.

See you in Vermont, It's not flat!

Change in Plans

Looks like we'll be staying at St.Michaels now! Someone cancelled a reservation, and we had put our name on the waiting list, so we'll be headed all the way now. :dance

We are shooting for a 9:00 am start - gotta get the dogs to the kennel first and I haven't yet figured out how to get both of them on my bike at the same time..... :banghead

Last edited:
On the K-bike

I am leaving from New Hartford, Ct. This will be my second rally. Went to the Finger Lakes rally a couple years ago. Can we camp on the the rally grounds and is it first come, first serve type deal? I'll be going up rt 8 and rt 7. It is shorter by 40 miles and a nicer drive. the traffic can be a bugger on that road sometimes. Only two lanes. Anyone intersted we can meet somewhere. bob

n1hnr94 - are you headed up on the 20th? Since there are several riders from CT headign up, perhaps we should plan an official route with some stops and times so people can join up? - Just an idea.....

I will now be headed out on Thursday the 20th from NE, CT. If you post a route with approximate times, I would be interested in hooking up.

Is everyone up for Rt. 8 to 7 into Vermont? Rt. 7 in Rutland area is tough as is South Burlington area, otherwise an enjoyable (albeit straight) road.

If so. I can probably put together a trip plan with times for those roads.

My tentative route

From Redding CT is:

U.S. Route 7 to Great Barrington MA;
Mass. Route 41 to U.S. Route 20 west of Pittsfield MA;
Route 20 west to N.Y. 22;
N.Y. 22 to Route 43 in Stephentown NY;
Route 43 to U.S. Route 7 in Williamstown MA;
Route 7 to Manchester VT;
Route 11 to Route 100;
Route 100 to Stowe VT

That sounds like a plan...I'm planning to leave on that thursday so far...putting together my loose agenda for the area...lots of intersting things to do and see in VT...

hey Buck and everyone else.. I am goin up on the 20th . How do we all get hooked up. I will be going up route 8 to 7 and on up north.We could meet in winsted at Canton BMW at the intersection of 8 and 44.

Rendezvous

Those going from CT via Winstead could join those going up Route 7 in Canaan CT or alternatively, in Great Barrington MA.

Meet at Canton Cycles to start

OK, lets say we meet at Canton Cycles at 10:00 am, and then pick a way point to hook up with the Rt 7 contingent. Canaan, Great Barrangton, or where Rt 7 and 20 meet up near Lee are all fine with me.

Rt 8 north of Winstead is all about twisties along a river with decent pull-offs.

lcarlson - have you tried Rt 183 (Rt 8 over to 7 - Great Barrington)?

According to Mapquest, it is about 45 vminutes via Rt 44 & Rt 7 from Winsted to Great Barrington. If you want to use Great Barrington, should we pick 11:00 am as a meetign time?

I am game. I live 10 minutes from Canton Cyles. For clarification Canton Cycles moved to Winsted and is still called Canton Cycles for those not familiar with the shop and is right at the end of the multilane Route 8. Go to the end of Route 8 and look to the right and thar she be...! Route 8 continues to the right and then a right again at the NCCTC college 1/4 mile up from Canton Cycles. Also make note on the rally forum about reflective stuff on your helmet in Vermont. :bikes

Back