• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

planning a trip 2 Nova Scotia> Niagra Falls

ricochetrider

Out There Somewhere
Howdy folks,

This summer i am planning a round trip from my home in Central PA up to Southern Vermont, into Maine (Brunswick area), out to Nova Scotia, and across Canada to Niagra Falls, then back home.

I have house hook-ups in both VT AND ME, so no need for places to stay between Central PA and Grafton VT, or between Grafton VT and Brunswick ME, tho suggestions for food along the way, in New York State and VT/NH/ME are welcome.

**We are on road bikes NOT Dual Sport, so hard surfaces are gonna be the rule for us.

**This is also a leisure run, we'll have the women-folk along.

**We are looking for B&Bs and Mom & Pop motels, and decent places for food, coffee, etc.

The main criteria is to avoid freeways, major motorways, interstates, or turnpikes!

US/Canadian hiways and State/local roads with the possibility of a short jaunt on the occasional major motorway to connect routes remaining open.

What i DON'T know is what's happening between Round Pond, ME and Niagra Falls, other than we want to get out onto NS, and stay in Canada between, say, Halifax and Niagra Falls.

we'll almost certainly take US 1 > Can 1 up to St John out of Round Pond
UNLESS there are ferries from ME to NS.

From what i can glean off the 'net, ferries no longer run between Maine and Nova Scotia? Is this TRUE or FALSE? This could make a big difference in our route planing and timing allotments.

Any and all information & suggestions are welcome in planning this adventure.

POIs, restaurants, B&Bs, Mom & Pop motels & restaurants, home cooking, even cocktails, ales, and breakfast/coffee stops, gasoline stops, whatever.

Thanks!

Bob Weber will respond as soon as he sees your post.

From what i can glean off the 'net, ferries no longer run between Maine and Nova Scotia? Is this TRUE or FALSE? This could make a big difference in our route planing and timing allotments.
Yes this is true

Last edited:
Kingston, ON to Niagra Falls

Hwy 401 is the freeway you will need to use from Montreal to Kingston. There just are no other viable routes.

Once at Kingston, you can head south and take a very scenic route with a free ferry thrown in, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Highway_33. At the western end, you could return to the 401, but I like to follow Hwy 2 along the shore of Lake Ontario from Trenton to just East of Port Hope. Then, it's back to 401 for the crossing of Toronto, until you take the 427 South and then follow the QEW ( Queen Elizabeth Way) to Niagara Falls.

The Niagara area is wine country. See http://wineriesofniagaraonthelake.com/ for a few ideas and a map. There is a road parallel to the QEW to the west, nestled under the Niagra Escarpment that is pleasant and will get you near a whole bunch of wineries.

If I'm around when you are due to arrive in Toronto, I might even be able to show you the route.

There is a Niagra region chartered club you could contact as well. Should have mentioned the Quinte chartered club west of Kingston as well.

Great ride, but you will likely do freeways a fair amount in Canada.

Thanks Guys!

Hwy 401 is the freeway you will need to use from Montreal to Kingston. There just are no other viable routes.

Once at Kingston, you can head south and take a very scenic route with a free ferry thrown in, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Highway_33. At the western end, you could return to the 401, but I like to follow Hwy 2 along the shore of Lake Ontario from Trenton to just East of Port Hope. Then, it's back to 401 for the crossing of Toronto, until you take the 427 South and then follow the QEW ( Queen Elizabeth Way) to Niagara Falls.

The Niagara area is wine country. See http://wineriesofniagaraonthelake.com/ for a few ideas and a map. There is a road parallel to the QEW to the west, nestled under the Niagra Escarpment that is pleasant and will get you near a whole bunch of wineries.

If I'm around when you are due to arrive in Toronto, I might even be able to show you the route.

There is a Niagra region chartered club you could contact as well. Should have mentioned the Quinte chartered club west of Kingston as well.

Great ride, but you will likely do freeways a fair amount in Canada.

Thanks! I'll take a look at the routes and links you posted. Since this is in the VERY early stages, not certain yet of just when we'll be in the area but i'll let you know when we get the dates nailed down. if we could hook up, that'd be nice, i'll buy you a coffee or beverage of choice.

Cheers!

Tom

Language skills?

Just a thought- i know we'll be in French-speaking areas, through Ontario, but not so certain about Nova Scotia. I have a French Phrasebook i plan to bring, but have no real skills in French.

Any tips about the use of -or expectancy of the use of- French, would be appreciated.

Don't worry about French

I have never found a problem with needing French in Quebec. Could happen in very rural areas, but unlikely. Very friendly and tourist aware.

Howdy folks,
This summer i am planning a round trip from my home in Central PA up to Southern Vermont, into Maine (Brunswick area), out to Nova Scotia, and across Canada to Niagara Falls, then back home.

Canadian universities and colleges offer residence accommodations during the summer months. Check out http://www.aucc.ca/canadian-universities/our-universities to find colleges/universities along your route. Once you have zeroed in on a campus, look for the Tourist/travellers information. I often pay between $30-$40, depending if breakfast is served. Lots of good two lane roads through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. If you follow the Gaspe Pennisula, you will most likely be taking Hwy 132. If this is the case, take the three hour ferry from Matane to Baie-Comeau on the north shore of the St. Lawrence. It is a more scenic ride. Do stop and stay in Old Quebec City. No that will not be inexpensive, but worth the visit to stay in a European city. In Ontario, yes you will most likely have to take the 401 unless you detour north to scenic back roads and then head due south to Niagara Falls. When in the Toronto area, pay the exorbitant toll fee for the 407. That way you will live to see another day. The 401 around Toronto is the most heavily travelled road in North America. LA freeways were a Sunday afternoon ride compared to our Toronto 401. Allow yourself lots of time to really enjoy the ride. Don't forget to ride the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island when in Nova Scotia. You will overwhelmed by just how friendly our neighbours on the east coast are.

Not sure if this is in your travels or not but I recommend Northern Outdoors in The Forks, ME.

We stayed here in a very nice cabin for less than we'd pay at a good Holiday Inn. Although listed as a "resort", it's not as plush as you would expect a resort to be. It's clean and comfy and the brew pub onsite is reasonably priced and excellent!

Northern Outdoors

For what it's worth, I'll take the north woods area of Maine over the coast any day!

The main criteria is to avoid freeways, major motorways, interstates, or turnpikes!
Thanks!

Eastern Ontario is lovely country and you'll really enjoy it if you stay off the 400 series.

There's really no alternative entering Ontario from the east except 401. (FYI, Ontario highways in the 400 series are all multi-lane, limited access.) If two lanes are your preference, at Brockville (lovely town) take 29 to Smith's Falls, (headquarters for the Rideau Canal, a UNESCO world heritage site). http://www.rideau-info.com/
Then east on Highway 7 to Peterborough, headquarters for the Trent-Severn Waterway. The Rideau and the Trent are both national historic sites. In Peterborough you'll find the Peterborough Lift Lock, one of the seven engineering wonders of the world. The amazing part is it's over a hundred years old. Take the short boat cruise that goes through the lock; you'll never see anything like it again. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterborough_Lift_Lock

East on Highway 7 and if time allows you can jog north on Highway 12 and take Highway 9 through the countryside and drop south on #10 through Orangeville. That will take you around the worst of Toronto.

If you want to stay off major highways, avoid 401 and Toronto like the plague. A survey I read last summer said traffic is worse than any other city in North America, including LA or Chicago. I pass through T.O. a couple times a year and regret it every time.

If you're in a hurry and must traverse the city, as mentioned above, take 407 (toll road) east and connect to the QEW (Queen Elizabeth Way) to Niagara. The 401 in the city risks gridlock on a fourteen lane expressway. The QEW will be a zoo regardless. If you like big cities the alternative is to head downtown, park the bike and enjoy for a day or two.

Once you reach Hamilton, Highway 20 is a much nicer ride east through the Niagara wine country than the QEW and it brings you straight into Niagara Falls by the "back door".

When you get to Niagara Falls, ride north on the Niagara Parkway to Niagara-on-the-Lake. Quaint tourist town with good restaurants, upscale hotels and shopping for the ladies.

If you're headed to southern VT, I can recommend a scenic twisty 2 lane route through the Berkshires of Western Mass...over Mount Greylock...and delivering you into Bennington or Wilmington depending on your destination. Northwest CT is nice if you're making your way up from PA. Let me know if you're interested...I'll send you a map of my favorite route from CT to VT.

You might consider SR 2 from Troy, NY across to SR 2 in Massachusetts, and taking that route across Mass. It's a little less mountainous than Vermont. It's my route of choice to Maine.

Bar Harbor is one of my favorite spots. There's a good KOA and a mix of motels from very expensive to very reasonable.

Harry

If the ferry is still closed from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth N.S., the ride on Route 1 to Calais Maine is great! Right before Calais you could cross the border to Campobello Island to visit The Franklin Roosevelt cottage(summer home). Then take the two short ferries to Deer Island and main land New Brunswick, Canada. Then you would have to take the highway to Saint John to take the ferry to Digby, N.S.
Once there, you could follow the coast south to Yarmouth and keep going around towards Halifax through Lunenburgh and Peggy's Cove. Nova Scotia is great where ever you go, but like someone mention, Cape Breton is worth the ride. The two tourist attraction I suggest for that area is of course "The Cabot Trail" in the "Cape Breton Highland National Park" , and " Fort Louisbourgh" near Sydney. Coming from Cape Breton, head for Pictou to take the ferry to Wood Island P.E.I. Like "martinph" said, Bob Webber will give all you need for NS,
There, head for Charlottetown and then follow the east coast to Cavendish to see the beach. Then go towards Borden to cross the Confederation Bridge back to New Brunswick.
Here take route 15 towards Cap-Pele and stop for the best fried clams and scallops you'll ever taste, at the "Bel Air" restaurant or the "Aboiteau" restaurant. In Shediac, you have the warmest waters in the Northumberland Strait, at Parlee Beach. If you follow the east coast on rte 134( and take rte 636, 475 and 117, for scenery) and rte 11, you can't go wrong! Half an hour pass Shediac, you would be going by my place, and if I'm around at this point, I'd be more than happy to show you around and a place to stay. Here we have the "Kouchibouguac National Park" with the best sand dunes around. Depending how much time you have I could suggest more for New Brunswick, like Fundy National Park, Hopewell Rocks with it's highest tides in the world, Magnetic Hill, following the Saint-John river and more!
Once in Quebec I would follow Paul F's suggestion and take the ferry to Baie-Comeau, from Matane, much better scenery on that side.

As for the french thing in the Maratime provinces (NS, NB, PEI, and NFL) don't worry, all us frenchmen are biilingual, and be more than happy to help you out. And if you find somebody that can't speak english, you'll have a blast listening to him or her trying!!!lol
I mostly camp when I travel so I'm not that familiar with B&B. If you do camp, You can't go wrong with Canadian National Parks and campgrounds in the maritimes. If you want coffee, well guess what we have, Tim Horton's, in pretty much every town you'll go through.

Hope this helps a bit!

Art.

Ferry's

Are both Ferries, from Portland & Bar Harbor out of business?

If they are this surely has had to have a negative impact on tourism there.

We took the CAT several years back, after having a crossing on the Portland Ferry cancelled just weeks before our trip. It was a real cluster! 14 members of our local club, all scurring around at the last minute rebooking......

Enjoyed Nova Scotia every much, will hope to get back there soon.

Jason

Wow!

Thanks everyone,

There's a lot to digest there. Fortunately, my big Atlas has detailed maps of Canada, and my GPS also has lifetime Canadian Maps. The info on the "400" series roads being akin to our US Interstate system is great info, as they don't "look" that big on the maps :brow . Looks like i may get a lesson in route planning for my GPS!

I have to figure a time-line across Canada to Niagra. Google Maps suggests that, in a bee-line, it's "one day, 10 hours" (Halifax to Niagra) so it appears that maybe three-four days could include some nice scenic riding and a stop in Olde Quebec City. No desire to get into Toronto this time round. Tho it is a city on my "list", i will either drive into it by car sometime or fly up. i think a long weekend there would be a treat at some point in my life.

Art,
We may see you as we swing thru, and as we develop more completely the route we'll choose. At this time i really don't even know how many total days we'll have, but i'll be referring back to this thread from now until departure. At the very least, perhaps we may pop by for a quick visit. Thank you sir, for the invite. that's very gracious of you.

Just roughly trying to get any sense at all of what kind of time it takes to say, go from Digby, around south, to Yarmouth and up the East Coast, it appears -again according to Google Maps- that it's perhaps a full day all the way to Halifax? That would be waking up in St John, taking the ferry across, and doing that ride. It seems from what i can glean, that the ferry ride over to Digby is 2-3 hours? Am i off base on this? BTW, we aren't locked in to going into Halifax, per se, but that's kind of been a target during this initial (and loose) planning phase. I guess, by looking at my Atlas, the route from Digby around to Halifax only covers about half of Nova Scotia, so i'll have to more closely consider the routes you have all suggested with the sights and POIs along the way.

Harry, & Hondarider,

I've only just Google Mapped (a tool i use frequently) the routes from Harrisburg PA up to Grafton, VT, and from Grafton over to the Brunswick, ME area. The first day out, up to Grafton, is going to be a pretty big day. Tho i've only taken a bare-bones peek at the route, it looks like it suggests US 219 up into NY state, then eventually bypassing Albany and entering Southern VT in that SW corner. The suggestion from Grafton over to the Brunswick area is a quickie 4-5 hour ride, so we may stretch that a bit, to include a trip over the White Mountains, which i think would have us going thru Conway, NH, and almost straight across ME. I certainly welcome any and all suggestions, and greatly appreciate your input and knowledge. Less busy routes may just be as quick as a more direct route with more traffic on it. We basically have all day, with a couple gas stops and a lunch stop in there. As long as we don't have to really put a hustle on then we are keeping to the "leisure" plan.

This is all really helpful info, i deeply appreciate it. Keep an eye on this thread and we'll all see how the trip develops. If any one wants to PM or Email anything specific, that would be great. Feel free to post it here, in the hopes that others may also benefit from your suggestions. My email address can be found in my public profile, i do believe. If not, just ask and i'll PM it to you.

Have a great day everybody!

Tom

Canadian universities and colleges offer residence accommodations during the summer months. Check out http://www.aucc.ca/canadian-universities/our-universities to find colleges/universities along your route. Once you have zeroed in on a campus, look for the Tourist/travellers information. I often pay between $30-$40, depending if breakfast is served. Lots of good two lane roads through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. If you follow the Gaspe Pennisula, you will most likely be taking Hwy 132. If this is the case, take the three hour ferry from Matane to Baie-Comeau on the north shore of the St. Lawrence. It is a more scenic ride. Do stop and stay in Old Quebec City. No that will not be inexpensive, but worth the visit to stay in a European city. In Ontario, yes you will most likely have to take the 401 unless you detour north to scenic back roads and then head due south to Niagara Falls. When in the Toronto area, pay the exorbitant toll fee for the 407. That way you will live to see another day. The 401 around Toronto is the most heavily travelled road in North America. LA freeways were a Sunday afternoon ride compared to our Toronto 401. Allow yourself lots of time to really enjoy the ride. Don't forget to ride the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island when in Nova Scotia. You will overwhelmed by just how friendly our neighbours on the east coast are.

Hi,
and thanks for the advice. We may look into your suggestion to stay at some universities along the way. And we will almost certainly take the ferry from Matane over to Baie-Comeau to travel down to Quebec on the North side of the St Lawrenece on the 138. I am up for a stay in Olde Quebec, but also must consider the opinions of those whom i'm traveling with.

From Quebec, it appears to get complicated. A preferable route would most likely be a northern one, away from busier roadways, staying away from Montreal? My Atlas makes it look pretty dense, as tho the suburbs merge from one to another along the way, between cities. From Quebec to Ottowa, it appears there is a series of roadways in the 300s which seem to be smaller but not extremely rural- tho they are many between the two cities.

Out of Ottowa, it appears the Rte 7 is a direct route that may be similar to our US hiways- smaller than a major motorway with at-grade intersections, down to Peterborough or Lindsay? from there a wide swing around North of Toronto somehow would be welcome, to arrive at lakeside in order to come into Niagra from the West, perhaps on Rte 3?

Don't know how easy that would be but any suggestions are welcome.

It has been suggested that we might go all the way up to Sidney on Nova Scotia, everyone says the Cabot Trail is worth the ride. From there we may just bee-line across New Brunswick to Matane, then slow it down a bit from there to Niagra. Out of Niagra, it is a good day's ride out of Buffalo on US 219, then cutting more Southeast to my home.

I'm trying to figure loose mileages and times from point to point, not really knowing just yet what our total time allotment will be... of course we want to leave some wiggle room, but IMO our main interests lies in Nova Scotia, and then perhaps Quebec, and Niagra. Looks like we'll have 3 days to Saint John, then 2-3 days on NS, with perhaps another 3 from Sydney over to Quebec?

If we ride the Cabot Trail out of Sydney, Google maps lists it as 16 hours over to Matane, on secondary roads, using the *avoid Highways* option! which means two days for us.

This suggested route cuts across the base of the Gaspe Peninsula. Unfortunately, but i fear that time constraints will allow only so much. Some discussion will illuminate our priorities as a group, i suppose, and all will be revealed eventually!

Cheers.

Tom

A couple of thoughts from someone who thinks Cape Breton is one of the most beautiful places on earth.
First, you'd be absolutely nuts to blow through any part of Nova Scotia from the Bay of Fundy eastward. Take your time here, it is gorgeous, with little traffic, and so much to enjoy.
Route-wise, as pointed out already the border crossing at Lubec via Campobello Island and the various connecting ferries is SOOO much better than the Calais crossing and Route 1 route. Slower, but. . .who can resist a tiny ferry that putters by fishing villages? If you're a trucker, take Route 1 via Calais but otherwise, go through Lubec and take the ferries.
Second, the whole Bay of Fundy area/Fundy Nat'l Park is a natural wonder that is not to be missed, and ripe for exploring on a motorcycle (yes, the roads are paved). The Provincial and national parks around the Fundy area are clean, uncrowded, well maintained and are terrific to stay at ; I'm sure there are good B&B's also. I've hit a few parks on the Northern side (the PEI side) that were overcrowded with none of the beauty of the Bay of Fundy. . .maybe just bad luck, tho.
Re: Cape Breton .. . .be aware that tourist season starts in June, and you WANT to go at that time (things close in the off season, including many restaurants, pubs and lodging) Bras d'Or is beautiful and the Cabot Trail (northern circle) is a must for scenery, but--do you like music? Following Route 19 down the west side (this is called the Ceilidh trail) will bring you to the musical heart of Cape Breton, including Inverness and Mabou. I highly recommend the Inverness Beach Village for lodging and a stopover. . family run, humble cottages but on a swimmable sandy beach. Be sure to stop in Mabou at the Red Shoe pub, and explore to the West as far as Mabou Mines, Mabou Harbour, and West Mabou. And go to a square dance--not just to dance, but to see the whole community--all ages from 3 to 90-- come out at once and have fun together.
The only problem with stopping and exploring in Cape Breton is that you won't want to leave.

:ca Have good suspension for your bikes ... my wife has back issues, we are considering not taking our R100RS to Nova Scotia anymore because the roads are so terrible, frost heaves are unreal !!! Our place is near Antigonish, we find the back roads to be almost unrideable. Also visit Tor Bay if you get the chance ... beautiful sand beach and open ocean views !
Steve

:ca Have good suspension for your bikes ... my wife has back issues, we are considering not taking our R100RS to Nova Scotia anymore because the roads are so terrible, frost heaves are unreal !!! Our place is near Antigonish, we find the back roads to be almost unrideable. Also visit Tor Bay if you get the chance ... beautiful sand beach and open ocean views !
Steve
your brush stroke is far too broad and gives the wrong impression. Lots of roads that I would say have a 'challenging aspect' to them but that's it. If you're in a hurry go to Nevada (for example) but things are a bit different here. Ask any of the Salty Fog Riders Rally attendees if the roads are unrideable. I found the roads around Oklahoma City somewhat unrideable so it happens everywhere. (btw, there really are some disgusting backroads in places; politics often trumps citizen needs. Also, Tor Bay is wonderful and we encourage anyone traveling through our area (Larry's River; about six miles from Tor Bay) to visit that beach. - Bob

Back