• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Toronto to Bellingham, Washington. Recommendations wanted

J

JohnOKane

In a few weeks I will leave Toronto on my 1993 K75 to visit a friend in Bellingham. I aim to leave the bike there and return later to ride it to California.

I am hoping to get suggestions for the route - towns rather than cities - so that I can plan timeframes, accommodation etc.

It has been suggested so far, that I avoid the plains by travelling first through the US before moving north to visit Banff, possibly going via Mt Rushmore.

I would welcome all suggestions to plot on my map and make final decisions from that.

Thank you

John O'Kane(BMWOA member)
Derry
Ireland

I've done the ride north from Toronto around the Great Lakes on the Trans Canada on the 'southern' route and also on Hwy 17. #17 has much less traffic but fewer amenities. The prairie does not start until you reach the province of Manitoba; even then it is not the bald ass grassland. That starts west of Regina in Saskatchewan; if you go north from Regina on Hwy 11 to Saskatoon you will stay closer to the rolling hills and forests of the boreal. You can take Hwy 16 west to Edmonton; it is a nice ride although four laned. At Edmonton you can either continue west on Hwy 16 into the Rocky Mountains through Jasper and down to Kamploops and on to Vancouver. Or from Edmonton take Hwy 2 south to Calgary and then take Hwy 1 (the Trans Canada) west to Banff and on to Vancouver; this is a beautiful ride through the rugged mountain passes. I've not done the ride from Toronto west through the states although I've ridden the Black Hills and most other points west to the coast. Hope others can help you more on the states routes.

In a few weeks I will leave Toronto on my 1993 K75 to visit a friend in Bellingham ... I would welcome all suggestions to plot on my map and make final decisions from that.

I would stay stateside as the petrol is less expensive in the US. For now anyway...
I live in Washington State and I would recommend highway 2.
Look at this MAP and plan around it... Zoom in at some places. It is not "super-Slab" but more of an "Americana" route, small towns and no "trucks". With the range of your bike you should have little trouble finding fuel.
Save exploring Banff later as it gets really crowded (RV campers) in the summer.
If you decide to come through Washington State let me know and perhaps we can meet up for a bit of the run... The ride on Route 20 in the Cascades is phenomenal!

~ Jim

Attachments

• ToCoulee.jpg
    ToCoulee.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 103
Thank you

for those suggestions. I am now about to plot them onb my map and ponder!

Since I plan to leave the bike in Washington, it might make sense to postpone Bannf until a later, quieter time.

John O'Kane

From Kamloops, ride to Osoyoos? then cross the border at Night Hawk. 17 miles later you'll pop out in a town in the USA (forget the name). Then head for the North Cascades road designated 20. Ride it, stopping at Winthrop. Keep going on the 20, then finally you'll hit somewhere very near to where you want to be. You may not care though and turn back to ride the route again.

I did it this weekend and it was 80% great, 5% okay and 15% amazing.

Don't ride as far as Vancouver whatever you do, the I5 crossing and road down from Vancouver to Bellingham is a load of grandad's pants, only fit for truck drivers and RVers to drive.

I've ridden both sides of B.C./Washington border; each has its own merits. My recommendation for crossing the border is at Sumas, east of Vancouver. Gas prices will not make much of a difference imho; prices in B.C. may be higher, the U.S. gallon is 25% smaller than the Imperial. Banff is busy in the summer, you've ridden enough to know summers anywhere mean more traffic. Riding both sides, one side one way, the other side back. Make sure to have fun.

Then head for the North Cascades road designated 20. Ride it, stopping at Winthrop. Keep going on the 20, then finally you'll hit somewhere very near to where you want to be.

+1 to the north cascade hwy. It's beautiful!!!!!!

I would stay stateside as the petrol is less expensive in the US. For now anyway...
I live in Washington State and I would recommend highway 2.

The ride on Route 20 in the Cascades is phenomenal!

~ Jim

Section of Highway 20. Image says it all!

Highway 2 to 97 North to 153 to 20. Then yes, cross at Sumas... Blaine can back up for hours! Usually does too!

Attachments

• Highway20.jpg
    Highway20.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 38
Comments on the FIRST part of the trip:
I really enjoy riding up in the Grey/Bruce peninsula of Ontario. I don't know if this is your normal riding area, maybe no big deal for you, but I would head up to Tobermory and the ferry up to South Baymouth, then up and enjoy Manitoulin Island a bit and across the North Channel to Ste St Marie and into the UP of Michigan (if you are around the North Channel area and find nightfall near the town of Bruce Mines, there is a GREAT combination German Restaraunt/Motel called Bavarian Inn, good food and beer and a room right there so no need worrying http://www.brucemineschamber.com/CPaccommo.htm ). From Ste St Marie, myself I'd head over towards Marquette MI and then up to the Keweenaw peninsula and Copper Harbor, if you have the extra day to explore the roads around there you won't be disappointed http://keweenaw.org/index.php?page=gallery . (also a nice motel just north of Copper Harbor I think is ALSO called the Bavarian! No resturaunt but really nice friendly people run it). OH also before Marqutte you can take a detour up to Paradise MI and see the maritime museum up there, worth the trip and nice curvy roads if you check out your map http://www.paradisemichigan.org/ . There are some nice motels in Paradise as well, nice mom n pops type places.
From Copper Harbor then you could maybe join up with your intended route.
IF none of this appeals to you, I would also point out that for crossing Lake Michigan I'd consider going instead to Ludingtom MI and taking the SS Badger to Manitowoc WI http://www.ssbadger.com/newhome.aspx
The route you have is the expensiver high speed ferry to Milwaukee, I like the Badger, slower but more relaxed, and you don't end up in Milwaukee for Petes sake! They are both expensive but that high speed one is ridiculous expensive; http://www.lake-express.com/
Gilly

Back