• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Leathers - Any suggestions?

brprider679

I'm looking for a new set of leathers. Currently use an Olympia AST but it is a bit bulky. I like it but I used to ride primarily in BMW leathers. They are just too outrageously expensive. Does anyone use Vansons?

Vanson vs BMW

I have a Vanson jacket and the BMW Atlantis suit. Vanson is just about as expensive as the BMW (worth it), but for sheer usability, the Atlantis is much better looking and more usable (waterproof).

Good luck. You'll need suspenders for the pants of whichever, as riding leather is very heavy.

I'm looking for a new set of leathers. Currently use an Olympia AST but it is a bit bulky. I like it but I used to ride primarily in BMW leathers. They are just too outrageously expensive. Does anyone use Vansons?

:thumb Yes the are excelent in quality of leather used and workmenship. Plus I only live 5 miles away so alterations are no problem.

Stone Lake Leather is great. Got a pair of the bibs. I went with the heavy leather, heavy duty hardware, they're good to deal with, and relatively fast. Homegrown goods. They're pricey but worth it.

message for Voni

Hey Voni,
I know you already have a lot of red, but this place:
http://www.marsleathers.com.au/
can custom make you stuff out of red leather. They even have Kangaroo (lighter and stronger than cow)
Check the exchange rate and it's pretty reasonable. Good luck.

their $520 (aud) will cost you $369 or so. I used them a few years back and they're great.

Last edited:
Stone Lake Leather is great. Got a pair of the bibs. I went with the heavy leather, heavy duty hardware, they're good to deal with, and relatively fast. Homegrown goods. They're pricey but worth it.

I'll 2nd this motion,Dan, ( the owner) is a rider,and his stuff is definetly at the top of the list of biker leathers. I stopped at his place on my way to Bike Week a few winter's back,he let me sleep in the barn/factory,and I left in the morning with a set of his leather bibs,and I absolutely love'em.:thumb

Hey Voni,
I know you already have a lot of red, but this place:
http://www.marsleathers.com.au/
can custom make you stuff out of red leather. They even have Kangaroo (lighter and stronger than cow)
Check the exchange rate and it's pretty reasonable. Good luck.

their $520 (aud) will cost you $369 or so. I used them a few years back and they're great.

Thanks for the head's up. Never can have too much red.

It would be great if it was also all weather like Andy's stuff is.

Voni
sMiling

brprider: "Does anyone use Vansons?"

I do.

I bought a full set of Vanson Leathers about 7 years ago that I still use. I find the quality to be great, and the fit excellent. While visiting in the area, I went to their factory store, got measured, and had a jacket and pants custom made for me.

It was very expensive, but worth it in my opinion. The only problems were a calf zipper that needed to be repaired, but that's it.

I recently moved to NC from ME, so I may not be wearing the leathers in the middle of summer. I bought a Vanson mesh jacket for summer, but am considering getting a perforated leather jacket. I'm just not sure how much air a perf leather jacket will move.

There are lots of excellent choices out there. I hope you find something that you like.

Paul

. I'm just not sure how much air a perf leather jacket will move.
Paul

the perf leather moves a lot of air. Their "Breeze" is the most perferated and, as long as you're moving, it's very cool. I used mine in Phoenix in mid summer (real road temperatures of 120 +)

good luck.

Why Leather?

Not trying to be a PITA but a serious question. Why do you choose leather over fabric riding gear. I'm interested in the reason(s) for choosing leather.:scratch

Two Reasons:

1-Leather is more abrasion-resistent.
2-Leather is cool ( in a "Wild One"/Fonzie way).

No doubt Vanson will set you back. Albeit my opinion, first off it's a quality product, you feel like you have decent protection on when you zip it up. It's cool and everyone knows it costs a lot and it fits right and looks good. On the down side like most leather options you will need to carry raingear. I wear mine from 50 to 75 degrees. If the weather forecast suggests rain it's Olympia time.

Back