• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My first cross country trip; education requested

toddlamp

I have been "planning" a cross/around country trip ever since I started riding motorcycles (~6years) and as I get older and prepare to start a family I am looking to take on the challenge in about 12-18months from now. The solidifying factor came when a friend of mine agreed to take part. I think it was the idea of an 8,000mile trip (my first touring trip) done solo that made me reluctant.

So now I am in the planning phase and realize that I have no idea what i'm doing.

My trip will start in DC and head north/west across Ohio to the Chicago area than north toward Canada. From there we travel west to the Seatle area and down the Pacific coast highway. South on the PCH til about San Fran than its over to Las Vegas. From Vegas we will figure a route to ultimately end up in New Orleans. We go north from New Orleans along the Mississippi to St. Louis. St. Louis south/east to the Tail of the Dragon. And finally north to Washington DC.

We are looking to take 3-4 weeks to do the whole trip but that doesn't mean we won't have long days in the saddle. Our hopes are to spend one day, all day, riding so that we can spend a full day or two in a particular destination to see the sites and take pictures.

Camping will be our primary sleeping choice although we will budget for a hotel room approx. 1 out of every 3-4 nights and especially if we are in a major city.

While the plan is to go within 12-18months, it will most likely be the latter of that since Sept/Oct will most likely be the best time to ride.

I would really appreicate any advice and tip that can be provided to me. I have a list of items that I know i'll be taking (ie. camping supplies, clothes, rain gear, etc) but since i've never been in this situation before I don't have the ability to think outside the box of items that I never thought I would need, or objects I think i'll need but in reality don't.

Thanks!!

Todd

Last edited:
A long trip is just a bunch of short ones tacked together. You have a year to make a bunch of short, weekend trips to figure out what to take and practice packing it. People can make all kinds of suggestions, but until you get out and do it, you won't know what works for you. Join the local club, http://www.BMWBMW.org and meet some people with lots of experience.

I'll second bicyclist's advice - plan on doing a few all day rides combined with overnight camping between now & then, and you'll quickly learn how to pack, what to pack and what to leave behind.

I will suggest this:

- take an electric jacket liner or vest with you. You will use it.

- start with fresh tires - or arrange in advance to have them changed in route. I've always discovered that tire wear accelerates on long, fully loaded tours, especially on hot roads.

- I have very little recall of the interstate highways I've traveled on when touring. I remember the backroads in great detail.

Sounds like a great time. I am not an Iron Butt guy, but I have done a few long trips. A couple of bits of advice:
* Get in shape. Start excercising to strengthen you abs, lower back, shoulders and arms. Stretch and be limber.
* Pay attention to your body. If something doesn't seem right , pay attention. If you think you might feel tired, stop and cat nap.
* Pay attention to the machine. If something doesn't seem right stop and check things out.
* Be sensitive to "vibes" If an area looks like deer country, respond accordingly. Likewise for cops, gravel, dogs or small children.
* Take pictures of food

You really don't want to see anything I gather. Nice run but it will be a blur. Can you do 14 hour days? Hope so. That does not mean to that you should think twice about the route but just be prepared to skip a lot of stuff. Nice adventure though. -Bob

Two big ones;

Carry your Annon.Book:) and pack wise, carry all you think you may need and "UPS" home what you do not have any use for, after a week out on the road. You will have an idea at weeks end what you should have left home! The West and North, even in late summer are very cold in certain places so carry good gear for that. At the very least, carry tools/compressor to fix flats. Invest in good "dry bags" for all your gear:)...Randy

Thanks for the info guys. Right after I posted my co-rider suggested that we take a couple weekend trip this season to test everything out.

Bob_M: Take pictures of the food???

YES!!! The Annon book! I almost forgot about that.

The MOST important thing to take on a trip like this is TIME. Time to stay off the Interstates, time to eat good food in out of the way places, time to chat a bit with local folks along the way, and time to see the grandeur of the country as you travel through it.

So - underplan your trip. Pick an honest comfortable riding day length. Then get decent trip planning software (everybody has their own favorite) and figure out roughly how many miles the total route is. Add about 10% for wandering. Compare the average day to you comfortable day and you have riding days. Then figure your sightseeing or stopping days.

Then back to the maps, books, and computer and figure your "must see" places and rough out the trip.

Some folks have daily destinations. Others plan to "be there by next Tuesday" with flexibility until then. You will most likely wind up with some of each.

Good luck - if you do it right it will be a trip you remember forever.

And never forget - when the plan falls apart the adventure begins!!

Much of the great riding once you hit the west can get sketchy in fall. Sometimes the mountain passes are open. Sometimes not. And since this is your Big Trip, if possible, I'd aim for an early September departure at the latest. Many of the passes close reliably by October and then once you're over them, when you get out to my neck of the woods, the rain starts to roll in. Plus you're planning on camping. Cold night after cold night can get a little old. BTDT. Bitterly cold night followed by icy road... even less fun (out in the high desert, 40??F+ temperature swings are nut uncommon).

I envy you. That first cross country trip is perhaps the best one. :thumb

:gerg The less you bring, the happier you'll be. Killer raingear is a MUST. Makes riding in rain enjoyable. If you need to buy something, don't skimp, get the best made product you can. Keep a flexible schedule and keep all options on the table. Don't promise any timelines to anyone. Keep "Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C always percolating to coincide with weather, suggestions from "new friends", or whims. If you're a GPS guy, make sure you have maps to back up where you are and where you want to go. Maps are the best way to "ask for help"..........not that I've ever stooped that low............

Most of all, have fun, take pictures, and in your darkest moments, realize that every idiot on their computer typing messages like this would rather be "on tour" Good luck, post a ride report :deal

oh yeah, take a moment to grasp the meaning of my sig line..............

I think it was the idea of an 8,000mile trip (my first touring trip) done solo that made me reluctant.

I've often wondered why going "solo" is the deciding factor whether a person takes a trip or not. :scratch You're travelling in North America...what can happen?

I would really appreicate any advice and tip that can be provided to me.

Start making yourself a packing list on the PC and save it for future tours. Its amazing how fast one can pack for a motorcycle tour without having to reinvent the wheel each time.

Don't over pack...what I see so often.

Preparation of you and the motorcycle can take any grief out of the tour.

We all travel differently. I prefer to tour bite sized areas in detail instead of trying to see it all at once.

New Orleans? May we suggest the Bon Maison? See some pics about half way down page one of our Trip Report http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=32509

As well, keep in mind the words of T.S. Elliot: " Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" And like Global Rider said, it's North America (at least the part that you intend to travel)....what can happen anyway. Maybe you consider AAA recreational vehicle membership (just in case plus lots of literature) and a credit card (use it to pay everything but be sure to pay it off as soon as you return :deal Also it is a good way to generally document your tracks.) - Bob

You can plan all you want. But you'll still not take everything you will need. So why not just do what I did on my first cross-country trip. Throw some clothes in the bags, strap on the camera bag, and go to it. No cell phone, GPS, no hotel rooms rented, and no idea how many miles I would eventually travel. All I did was look at a map, see the Pacific ocean, and say " that's where I'm headed." Went by myself too. If I decided I needed more that what I had with me, I would just buy it along the way.

Oh, I did not have any tools to work on the bike other than the standard kit that came with it new. No way to fix a flat if I were to get one. But I did have a bunch of 20 amp fuses because the bike likes to blow the main fuse every once in a while (Honda never did find a fix for that).

Foolish! Maybe. But I was 26, single, and naive. But it was fun!

That's a pretty ambitious route for 3-4 weeks. You can do it but may find the destinations are driving the journey instead of the other way around. Cars are about destinations; motorcycles are about the journey. Rather than drive yourself crazy trying to keep to schedule, have some sections that you can lop off if you get behind.

I encourage you to take at least an 8 day trip before setting out on your first long trip. With minimalist packing, a long week will make you do laundry - a learning experience for the longer trip. It will give you some ideas about what to take and what not to take. Take as little as you think you can get by with and mail the excess back to yourself when on the road.

Southern Canada and the US Rockies can be very iffy in Sept/Oct. I've hit snow in southern Alberta the week after Labor Day. The northwest US can be very wet then, too, with icy/snowy roads across the Cascades. You will encounter rain and cold (highs in the 40s some days, maybe) - be prepared.

It sounds like a wonderful trip. If you're anything like me, you plan to do everything during the phase when all things are possible but pare it down when reality rears its ugly head.

Ride safe. Have fun. Let us know your progress. :wave

Just get on the bike and go. Don't plan to much ahead. That is how I did my first trip on west did have some weekend trips before they are not the same.

Don

For amusement I ran a rough route as described. Base route is about 7500 miles so assume 8000 to 8200 by the time it is fleshed out. At 300 miles a day that is 27 riding days. At 350 a day it is 23 riding days. At 400 a day it is 20 riding days.

The winners of the Iron Butt Rally could ride that route in a week - but for a wander I'd want 5 weeks.

Take a jet boil, 90 second rice, and little cans of chicken, great for meals. Have a camel back for water. Take only under armor or similiar clothes no underwear no cotton, almost all campgrounds have laundry and you can wash this stuff out nightly which avoids having to take a lot of clothes. Fire starters for your nightly fire, A kelty for rain cover, rain gear also helps in all kinds of weather as an extra layer, heated vest of course, and rain gloves. Sleeping bag good down to at least 20 degrees and a bigger tent, not a one person so you have room to live. I did a similar trip two years ago and found camping everywhere. Don't miss the bad lands, bighorn pass, yellowstone, and grand teton, and of course Bear tooth pass on your way to Glacier national park. All this before Seattle you will regret if you do not see. You will have the time of your life. I did this all in two weeks and rode between 500 and 700 miles a day which was too much so you have more time to see the fun stuff. Left from Altoona Pa on July 3rd.

Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

Road Rules

My rules include: no churches, no museums, and no sit-down lunches. Motorcycle touring is immersion in fresh air, so I stay outdoors for picnics, siestas or scenic walks during the daytime. Nights are for leisurely dinners with friends new or old, followed by showers, fresh beds and laundry in cheap motels. Red Roof Inns are good examples of what I look for, because I can park six feet from my door, under cover if there's rain.

I concur with advice about super-slab roads. They are more fun on 4 wheels, especially among 18-wheelers.

Why the heck not?

Bob_M: Take pictures of the food???

That was a little tongue in cheek, but you will be spending lots of time alone. On bad days a good meal will be the high point of your day. When you recount the stories of the trip, non-motorcyclists may not have much to hang their attention on, but everybody loves food. It is just something to have a little fun with.

One thing I swear by are the little squeegees that slip over a gloved finger. The Aerostich catalog sells them 3 for $12. They are great for getting moisture (rain, fog condensate, road splash) off your face shield. Get the catalog and pour over it. It is a font of ideas and inspiration.

The MOST important thing to take on a trip like this is TIME.

Good luck - if you do it right it will be a trip you remember forever.

And never forget - when the plan falls apart the adventure begins!!

I know that that is the most important thing and I want to use it wisely.

Much of the great riding once you hit the west can get sketchy in fall. Sometimes the mountain passes are open. Sometimes not. And since this is your Big Trip, if possible, I'd aim for an early September departure at the latest. Many of the passes close reliably by October and then once you're over them, when you get out to my neck of the woods, the rain starts to roll in. Plus you're planning on camping. Cold night after cold night can get a little old. BTDT. Bitterly cold night followed by icy road... even less fun (out in the high desert, 40??F+ temperature swings are nut uncommon).

I envy you. That first cross country trip is perhaps the best one. :thumb

Thank you for that insight. Being from the east coast all my life I have no idea what weather trends are for the different parts of the country. Once we have a route drafted up I will make not of the possible weather and choose a start date from that.

New Orleans? May we suggest the Bon Maison? See some pics about half way down page one of our Trip Report http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=32509

Yes! Definitely! I made note of that after reading about it in your post. Your journey will be very close to how ours will be and I am planning on using your trip as a primary reference.

As well, keep in mind the words of T.S. Elliot: " Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" And like Global Rider said, it's North America (at least the part that you intend to travel)....what can happen anyway. Maybe you consider AAA recreational vehicle membership (just in case plus lots of literature) and a credit card (use it to pay everything but be sure to pay it off as soon as you return :deal Also it is a good way to generally document your tracks.) - Bob

I have no doubt that my co-rider is up for some adventure. He owns a Bandit 1200 right now but wants to pick up a V-Strom just for the trip. Hopefully I can keep up with him while on my K75.

You can plan all you want. But you'll still not take everything you will need. So why not just do what I did on my first cross-country trip. Throw some clothes in the bags, strap on the camera bag, and go to it. No cell phone, GPS, no hotel rooms rented, and no idea how many miles I would eventually travel. All I did was look at a map, see the Pacific ocean, and say " that's where I'm headed." Went by myself too. If I decided I needed more that what I had with me, I would just buy it along the way.

That's a pretty ambitious route for 3-4 weeks. You can do it but may find the destinations are driving the journey instead of the other way around. Cars are about destinations; motorcycles are about the journey. Rather than drive yourself crazy trying to keep to schedule, have some sections that you can lop off if you get behind.

For amusement I ran a rough route as described. Base route is about 7500 miles so assume 8000 to 8200 by the time it is fleshed out. At 300 miles a day that is 27 riding days. At 350 a day it is 23 riding days. At 400 a day it is 20 riding days.

The winners of the Iron Butt Rally could ride that route in a week - but for a wander I'd want 5 weeks.

You all make very good points that I never would have considered. I'm going to look at the particular route that I have down now and start adjusting it.

Take a jet boil, 90 second rice, and little cans of chicken, great for meals. Have a camel back for water. Take only under armor or similiar clothes no underwear no cotton, almost all campgrounds have laundry and you can wash this stuff out nightly which avoids having to take a lot of clothes. Fire starters for your nightly fire, A kelty for rain cover, rain gear also helps in all kinds of weather as an extra layer, heated vest of course, and rain gloves. Sleeping bag good down to at least 20 degrees and a bigger tent, not a one person so you have room to live.

Several of those items are already on my list. I will consider and add the others.

I did a similar trip two years ago and found camping everywhere.

That's good to know. I haven't started looking for camping since our final route hasn't been established. It looks like we are going to focus primarily on camping to save money

Don't miss the bad lands, bighorn pass, yellowstone, and grand teton, and of course Bear tooth pass on your way to Glacier national park. All this before Seattle you will regret if you do not see. You will have the time of your life.
Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

Yes! Those are definitely going on my list.

My rules include: no churches, no museums, and no sit-down lunches. Motorcycle touring is immersion in fresh air, so I stay outdoors for picnics, siestas or scenic walks during the daytime. Nights are for leisurely dinners with friends new or old, followed by showers, fresh beds and laundry in cheap motels. Red Roof Inns are good examples of what I look for, because I can park six feet from my door, under cover if there's rain.

I concur with advice about super-slab roads. They are more fun on 4 wheels, especially among 18-wheelers.

I agree. That seems like a good philosophy to follow. We are doing this for the adventure of the ride more than seeing new places; that is a by-product of this.

That was a little tongue in cheek, but you will be spending lots of time alone. On bad days a good meal will be the high point of your day. When you recount the stories of the trip, non-motorcyclists may not have much to hang their attention on, but everybody loves food. It is just something to have a little fun with.

One thing I swear by are the little squeegees that slip over a gloved finger. The Aerostich catalog sells them 3 for $12. They are great for getting moisture (rain, fog condensate, road splash) off your face shield. Get the catalog and pour over it. It is a font of ideas and inspiration.

I think that would be a good way of documenting the trip. I could do it based of the food I eat each day rather than strictly chronologically. And I am always so sick of smearing water on my visor that those squeeges are on my list too.

I think that I might be over thinking all of this and planning too much that it will take away from the trip. I want to be riding and be relatively care free. If we see a backroad I want to just take it even if it goes no where. I don't want to be limited because I have to be at point A, or whatever, by a certain time.

I am concerned, however, about certain things that NEED to be reserved ahead of time and therefore attened to at a specific time. Is there a compromise for that? I also have no idea what a realistic amount of riding would be for me in a day. I have done 600mile days but that was on a single day. I didn't have to get up the next morning and do anoth 600miles. I guess I will have to test myself ahead of time with some weekend or week long rides as other suggested.

Back