• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Harley-Davidson's Milwaukee-Eight V-twin is brand's first new engine in 15 years

Wasn't 1984 to be the last....as the K Brick was going to be the future.

Yes. Some of us with 84's had mixed emotions about the return having purchased what we were led to believe was an end of an era motorcycle.

Yes. Some of us with 84's had mixed emotions about the return having purchased what we were led to believe was an end of an era motorcycle.

Thought the same when I saw the Stones farewell tour in '84...I thought :D

That is exactly what the local dealer said @ that time. I was riding an "82" A/head "RS" he said that's yesterday ! And as we know the "Boxer" has continued in various configurations....

What ever...I applaud H/D for improving. Hope it works out for them.

The return was a pleasant surprise and provided great humor when riders complaining about the demise and then complained about the return. But then we are the MOA and always have had our grumpy old men.

The Rolling Stones...reverb and stuck wah wah peddle. :brad

The return was a pleasant surprise and provided great humor when riders complaining about the demise and then complained about the return. But then we are the MOA and always have had our grumpy old men.

The Rolling Stones...reverb and stuck wah wah peddle. :brad

Speaking of the Stones, I recently saw a netflix movie called "20 ft from stardom". It was a biography of the classic back-up singers in R&R. It was interesting.........

I read the Cycle News report on the Milwaukee-Eight last night. Seemed to be a verbatim reprint of a H-D press release - rather ho-hum until I got to this part:

“Pre-load can now be adjusted to match the load of rider, passenger and gear without tools or an air pump,” said Paul James, Harley-Davidson Director of Motorcycle Product Planning. “Once set, the pre-load will not leak down or require further adjustment.”

This is their idea of innovation? That quote would describe the pre-load setting on every bike I've ever seen, back to an early '70s CB100. I'm not sure whether to laugh or to be awestruck that they might have been selling bikes with randomly variable pre-load all these years.

I read the Cycle News report on the Milwaukee-Eight last night. Seemed to be a verbatim reprint of a H-D press release - rather ho-hum until I got to this part:

“Pre-load can now be adjusted to match the load of rider, passenger and gear without tools or an air pump,” said Paul James, Harley-Davidson Director of Motorcycle Product Planning. “Once set, the pre-load will not leak down or require further adjustment.”

This is their idea of innovation? That quote would describe the pre-load setting on every bike I've ever seen, back to an early '70s CB100. I'm not sure whether to laugh or to be awestruck that they might have been selling bikes with randomly variable pre-load all these years.

If my DESA system actually worked as well as my old aftermarket shocks in a telelever configuration, I would laugh along with you.........

I just completed my MSF course at a Harley dealership where a friend works. (I'm a newbie having not driven a motorcycle in 40 years) While there he of course showed me the new models featuring the new engine. One of the complaints already mentioned is that the engine is "too smooth" and the throttle grip vibration isn't enough for those you still prefer the older stuff.

C'on...lets be fair here. H/D sticking with their V-twin is no different than BMW sticking with the flat-twin [Boxer]

Oh, it's VERY different.

The boxer twin is a wonderful configuration for a motorcycle engine.

The 45-degree V-twin is simply the worst possible configuration. It means you're sitting on top of the rear cylinder and absorbing a good portion of the heat from the rear cylinder and of course that cylinder's exhaust pipe. And the front cylinder isn't far away. It means as well that the rear cylinder is shrouded from air cooling to a significant degree, meaning the entire engine must be detuned to compensate. This is essentially the only "inline" motorcycle engine left, save for some monstrosity from Triumph, (that's water cooled). And, of course, it's not so smooth, although the possibility of balancer shafts may exist. Not really relevant, but you'd have to turn the power 90 degrees to use shaft rear drive. This design gives the motorcycle a high center of gravity. Can you imagine a GS type bike with this engine?

The boxer twin, meanwhile, must be the ultimate design for keeping heat from the rider ... although when the heat is moved upwards via radiators/coolers a little less so. At smaller displacements it's nicely balanced and remains so at larger displacements with a balancer shaft. The longitudinal crankshaft is ideal for shaft rear drive. Nice low motorcycle center of gravity with this design.

HD is continuing with a poor design ... BMW with a great design. That's a difference.

Anybody know if any of the Harley forums spend any time kicking BMW engines, designs or riding styles?
OM

Maybe it would have been were the original K100s not so poorly executed.

Fuel tanks too hot to touch. Incredible vibration, uncomfortable at handgrips and fatal to exhaust system mounts. I recall my first test ride, where I was in 5th within a city block trying to make the vibration go away. I've not considered a K-bike for a nanosecond since.

The rest of the market appears to have felt like me, as the R100GS quickly became BMW's best seller and the rest of the Airheads didn't go away. BMW even tried foam handgrips on Airheads to deceive that maybe all motorcycles needed them.

I think BMW wasn't really sure how much it wanted to be into motorcycles during this period, and the K was to be more of the same, that is, Europe's Police bike. The GS phenomenon fell in their lap, basically, and they indeed decided to be serious. It was clear "serious" meant a new boxer twin. More since, for sure, and seriousness is sky high.

Anybody know if any of the Harley forums spend any time kicking BMW engines, designs or riding styles?
OM

Are you serious? Have you met any of them out on the road and gotten a sideways sneer when you try to say hello?

And they also call us stuckup aloof pricks that wear funny riding suits.

Maybe it would have been were the original K100s not so poorly executed.

Fuel tanks too hot to touch. Incredible vibration, uncomfortable at handgrips and fatal to exhaust system mounts. I recall my first test ride, where I was in 5th within a city block trying to make the vibration go away. I've not considered a K-bike for a nanosecond since.

The rest of the market appears to have felt like me, as the R100GS quickly became BMW's best seller and the rest of the Airheads didn't go away. BMW even tried foam handgrips on Airheads to deceive that maybe all motorcycles needed them.

I think BMW wasn't really sure how much it wanted to be into motorcycles during this period, and the K was to be more of the same, that is, Europe's Police bike. The GS phenomenon fell in their lap, basically, and they indeed decided to be serious. It was clear "serious" meant a new boxer twin. More since, for sure, and seriousness is sky high.

OK, the K100's had some vibration, but I do feel you exaggerate, a tad bit.

I guess I really missed it when I unloaded that R80ST for a K75c. Yes, the GS phenomenon did occur, but those early offerings lacked a few important things, like effective front brakes. K-bikes had that and I knew I made the right decision in opting for the k-bike within a block or two. Yep, there was some engine heat channeled to the rider's crotch when temps rose above 90, but even the new LC boxer has that to a degree, but it's the right foot that gets the heat bath.

The original K's were rock solid bikes, in my most humble of opinions

Are you serious? Have you met any of them out on the road and gotten a sideways sneer when you try to say hello?

And they also call us stuckup aloof pricks that wear funny riding suits.

I've had several cordial encounters with HD riders at fuel stops, rest stops and cafes. Last year I was at a fuel station in Butte as the Sturgis crowd was migrating west. There was a group of Harleys there that along with their riders fit every stereotype imaginable. I noticed that several of the bikes had a long braided leather rope dangling from the clutch side hand grip. As I was leaving I saw a rather grizzled and elderly looking member of the group standing in the shade, so I pulled up next to him and asked if if he minded answering a question. He responded in a friendly manner and said he did not mind. I asked what the leather rope was for. He chuckled and told me that back in the day the ropes were weighted with lead and used to swipe at other bikes or cars that had committed some affront. He went on to say that now they are just for decoration. Could not have been a more pleasant exchange and is typical of my experiences with HD riders. I think the Harleys and the culture predominate among Harley riders is pretty silly, but they generally are decent enough when engaged one-on-one.

I wonder if the Harley riders who try to engage BMW riders find that some are in fact "stuckup aloof pricks that wear funny riding suits"? There is no arguing the "funny riding suits" part.

...reminds me that about 10yr back the rag Motorcycle Consumer Digest, I believe it was, ran a survey of
What owners had what brands in the garage...
And in the thousands were dual owners of H/D and BMW.
I'm one who voted that way.
"Travel'n" John.

Back